Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Trying to make the best of a bad situation

Eight days until the surgery process begins, so I'm taking care of loose ends and trying to "fill my tank" with as many fun activities and visits with friends as possible.

Today I had the unpleasant task of having to cancel our 10 day trip to Denver / Mount Rushmore / Yellowstone National Park. The sad reality is that we've been dreaming of taking this trip with our boys since before our oldest son was born 17 years ago.  We finally agreed that we had better take this trip before Scott took off for college. We booked 5 flights, a teepee hotel in Wyoming, and started making some awesome plans.

Ugh, melanoma!  

The doctor encouraged me to delay my surgery so we could take our trip, and then offered me a surgery date of the first day of school.  This would have required missing the first two weeks of school AND waiting an additional month to learn if my nodes are clear of cancer.  As a family, we decided it just wasn't worth the wait.

Ugh, melanoma!

Spoke to the representative at Orbitz today who cheerfully informed me that yes, I could cancel my trip for a mere 50% in fees. It's just  little $775 loss after all! The good news is that whe I explained that I needed to cancel for health reasons (Hellooooo, I have cancer!), she said I could submit medical documents and MIGHT get a full refund.

Ugh, melanoma! Labels

Hubby invited the boys and I to go to Milwaukee for Summerfest in Milwaukee as a "replacement" trip. Ha! Does he really think that Mötley Crüe and Alice Cooper are a replacement for Yellowstone National Park?!
I guess they will have to be. We will make the best of it and we will enjoy our time together.  It's on.

Summerfest Lineup

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow. I was wondering when that trip was supposed to take place. I'm so sorry that you're missing it but glad that your surgery date is sooner rather than later!! ������